Want to make your own sexy (or not) Tron costume like designer Syuzi's?
"EL Wire, also known as Electroluminescent wire, is a stiff wire core coated with phosphor and then covered with a protective PVC sheath. When an AC signal is applied to it, it glows an aqua (blue green) color. Sometimes its covered with a colored plastic shell to make it appear another color. It looks a little like thin neon. Very bendable, it keeps its shape and you can curl it around your finger. Its an easy way to add some glow to a project, not as bright as LEDs but uses a lot less power!"
Click through for the full tutorial.
- Basic soldering skills & more technical know-how (with Adafruit guidance)
- Wire strippers with a 20 AWG or 18 AWG slot
- Wire cutters (these can be part of the wire strippers)
- Soldering iron
- Third hand tool
- Copper tape
- Heat shrink in 1/4" and 1/8" diameter, 1:2 or 1:3
- Wire to solder the EL to
- Heat shrinker, Heat gun, hair dryer, lighter, you can also just use the edge of your soldering iron
- Utility knife, hobby knife (x-acto), box-cutter, razor blade, etc.
Note: You can buy most of these supplies an the Adafruit store: a starter pack for $20 OR if you want to skip the HowTo, you can buy the EL wire and invertor necessary for operation for a total of $13.50.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: