HowTo: Make Your Own Tron Costume With Electroluminescent Wire
Want to make your own sexy (or not) Tron costume like designer Syuzi's?
"EL Wire, also known as Electroluminescent wire, is a stiff wire core coated with phosphor and then covered with a protective PVC sheath. When an AC signal is applied to it, it glows an aqua (blue green) color. Sometimes its covered with a colored plastic shell to make it appear another color. It looks a little like thin neon. Very bendable, it keeps its shape and you can curl it around your finger. Its an easy way to add some glow to a project, not as bright as LEDs but uses a lot less power!"
Click through for the full tutorial.
- Basic soldering skills & more technical know-how (with Adafruit guidance)
- Wire strippers with a 20 AWG or 18 AWG slot
- Wire cutters (these can be part of the wire strippers)
- Soldering iron
- Third hand tool
- Copper tape
- Heat shrink in 1/4" and 1/8" diameter, 1:2 or 1:3
- Wire to solder the EL to
- Heat shrinker, Heat gun, hair dryer, lighter, you can also just use the edge of your soldering iron
- Utility knife, hobby knife (x-acto), box-cutter, razor blade, etc.
Note: You can buy most of these supplies an the Adafruit store: a starter pack for $20 OR if you want to skip the HowTo, you can buy the EL wire and invertor necessary for operation for a total of $13.50.